HISTORY

The history of the Villa Wulfriede began on 14 April 1900. The Hamburg merchant Dr. Max Albrecht (1851- 1925) purchased the 12-hectare site in Großhansdorf on the Sieker Landstrasse. Two years later, his impressive country-style villa with its half-timbered façade was completed in the decorative, new-romantic style typical of the turn of the century.

He named the property “Wulfriede” after the old name of the plot, “Wulfrie”, meaning “marshy ground”. Under the supervision of a landscape gardener, the area, which was covered in meadows and forested hills, was turned into a wonderful garden park with a large pond. The grounds also include a coach house, a gardener’s cottage and a gatehouse, all in the same architectural style as the villa itself. After the death of his father, the son Dr. Ernst Albrecht (1877-1960) took over the villa and redeveloped it in 1927.

In the spring of 1990, the property was bought by the Gesellschaft für Systemberatung im Gesundheitswesen (the company for systems consultation in the health sector, or GSbG), which turned it into a specialist orthopaedic clinic which acted as a model for other clinics throughout Germany. All insurance companies, the federal state government of Schleswig-Holstein and the Senate of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg agreed to the concept, which was oriented to patients’ needs. In this way, this historic building, one of the last of its kind in Großhansdorf, remains preserved for a broad section of the public, fulfilling a social function for the future.